Monday, July 7, 2008

An Eventful Weekend






Hello all!

So this morning has been rather interesting. It has been raining nearly all night and morning. On the way to the internet cafe, we took a cab that was stuffed with 7 people, totally normal here. Dont worry though, Im not riding the Okada motor bikes that typically are piled with 3 to 4 people.

Well first, I hope that everyone had a great holiday! I know I did. At the Womens center Friday we learned to male Chin Chin which is popular sweet treat here...much better than the sardines or snails I might add. I am pretty sure we gave the women something to laugh at! Later that night we had a party at the newest hotel in town...it was so nice! we danced and had a lot of fun.
Though at one point during the night, Pelagie opened up and told me about here poor treatment in our house by the rest of the family; As she poured out her thoughts, I was shocked. Up to this point I had chosen to believe that this only happened outside of our house, I have been sadly mistaken. Though I am still thankful for my Kumba family, I now have mixed emotions towards them.

Saturday morning came a bit too early. We hiked out to Barombi Village to see the Ethos project that the other UD students have been working on. The hike was 3 miles around Lake Barombi. It was the most gorgeous hike through the jungle. Pictures and words arent even going to do it justice. Unfortunately though, I jinxed myself with all of that talk about not being sick yet. Needless to say, hiking 8 miles through the jungle is not really an ideal time to feel sick. Despite this, we made it to the village and were able to see the water filtration project that the other students had been working on. We were welcomed by the entire village and got to meet the chief which was fun.

Sunday we went to the 2 hour church service again and then hung out around the house. Last night Pelagie taught us to wash our laundry by hand. Because, despite rumors, there are no washing machines here. It was quite a process. I wish I could upload pictures to give everyone a laugh, but the computers here arent equipped for that.

After over 48 hours of feeling sick off and on, I am thinking and hoping that the end is in sight. It couls always be worse! Well I should head to work. Today we are going to a pig farm. I am pretty much banking on the fact that they will show me how they raise them and then make me eat one...yum! Also today I think my dress will be finished. Dolphine, one of the women at the womens center wanted to make me a dress... its gorgeous and I a, so excited!

I cant believe I only have one more week here in Kumba before we travel again through Cameroon. Thanks for the continued prayers, thoughts, and encouragement....those are what help to keep me going and often make me smile and laugh! Please ignore all mistakes in here...A. the keyboards are different B. I dont have time to edit.

In Him,
Shannon

PS... I cant wait to talk to you again Wednesday night Mom, Dad, Nicole, and Paps

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon, I have finally had time to get online and check out your blog. I really enjoy reading the updates. It sound as if you have seen and heard more things then many of us could ever imagine. I am glad you are doing well, I could not do what you are doing!!
I wanted to let you know that little Crawford made an early arrival...Our son, Chase, was born July 2nd at 5:42 am. He was 5 lbs 15 ozs and 19.5 inches long. He is doing well, we got to come home on Friday the 4th, what a gift we received this year on the holiday. His picture should be up online sometime this week. If you can, check him out on Mtcarmelhealth.com :) Well girl, stay strong and take in everything! I want to see pictures once you get home.

Take Care,
Mrs. Crawford

Anonymous said...

Shannon, it sounds like you are really having a great time. Your mother didn't care for pig farms when she was in 4H. Prayers are with you. Have a great time and becareful.Love Grandma Hawley

Dad said...

Shan,

You knew you should not have made the comment about getting sick. Murphy's law....
I bet the dress will be beautiful, look what she has to work with, a princess.
Miss you bunches and will talk to you Weds...

P.S. Still no dog....

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,received your email about your trip a couple of weeks ago and just had a chance to check out your blog. Kelly and I just wanted to let you know we are so greatful for the time youve spent with our son. For those reading this that dont know, Shannon gives up her free time every sat. in the winter months to work with our son in a swimming program for disabled children. Sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. The food would be the biggest hurdle for me I think. I'll have to bug you to bring the pictures to the pool. Stay safe and enjoy every second.

Kelly,Bryan and Bryan

Anonymous said...

hey love -
I read the blog to my dad and he was cracking up over all of the funny things you have eaten. I miss you a lot and can't wait to read more. Love you!

Anonymous said...

hey friend :)

it sounds like you are having an amazing time. im glad your stomach is staying strong, which is probably a plus since we never found a liquid band aid that was consumable...

i hope the search for a baby hippo that meets airline weight requirements is going well... i think he would be a great addition to our group of friends. i would buy him a swimming pool to play in.

i hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly and i can not WAIT to see you when you get back!

Anna

Anonymous said...

hey shan, where are you traveling and when?

-yoho

Cameroon's Flag

Cameroon's Flag