Thursday, July 10, 2008

When In Cameroon!


Hey there everyone!

I hope this update find everyone happy and healthy! I can safely say that I miss everyone back home and would love to here stories of how you are filing your summer! So leave me a comment or shoot me an e-mail!

"When in Cameroon!?" has become our adopted phrase here. Sometimes in certain situations, that really all you can say. Here, Cameroonians don't really operate on a schedule and it something that believe it or not...even I have had to adjust to. There are often days at the clinic that Liz and I just sit there and watch them as they go about their work. Or we sit around waiting for some project to be complete. As the women at the center constantly do things for us, we have had to reassure ourselves that it is not a bad thing sometimes to just sit back and be in the moment. These women are wonderful at making us feel welcome and serving us in many ways. As Americans I think we are so used to constantly moving and are not good at just being in the moment. These women have taught me such a valuable lesson in that way. The next day is never promised, especially here, so they truly do appreciate each day and live in such community and in such appreciation of one another. I envy their outlook on things sometimes and hope that I can take the same outlook out of this experience.

This week heath wise has been rough, but nothing too horrible. I am exhausted but think I am getting a second wind. Today I have a lot more energy than I did yesterday. It was really good to be able to talk to Mom, Dad, and Nicole last night. Like always, they make me laugh and smile! I love to hear their voices and knowing that they miss me just as much as I miss them. I also love being able to tell them that they are worrying for nothing because I am fine...though I know they ignore me and do it anyways!

Tuesday I went to the market and bought food to make dinner for my host family last night. We made french fries, "burgers", and "puppy chow". I say "burgers" simply because the meat that we bought and had ground at the market was merely liquid and we had to mix eggs to make it somewhat suitable for patties. We also had to put peppe in it, which is this spicy spicy sauce that Africans put on EVERYTHING. Laura and I took one bite and started tearing up it was so hot. We then made "puppy chow" with only one correct ingredient. We used crackers, some thick chocolate paste, their form of peanut butter, and "powdered" sugar which is regular sugar. It look disgusting, and neither looked nor tasted like puppy chow. However, both were pretty good and the family LOVED it...so, mission accomplished. We were pretty proud of how resourceful we were!

It has been raining a ton. I witnessed an actual monsoon the other day. There was flooding all over the city. If flooding like this happened back home they would probably call in the National guard....here, it is normal. The roads are HORRIBLE to begin with, not to mention when you add mass flooding. Yesterday our car road, corection waded, through a giant pool in which the wate covered nearly half the car. I prayed hard and held my breath and we were out before I knew it. It was rather entertaining. It is sad though because the government is given money to fix the roads but keeps it all for itself. It is disgusting at times as I see the layers of this corrupt system pealed back by bit. The people here always tell us "you are free"...and the sad truth is they are far from that. They live in a place where their voice in far from audible. At time I am discouraged by this but keep reminding myself that simply being here, hearing their stories, and educating is the best that I can do.

Today I will be traveling to a village with the women from the womens center...I am very excited. This Sunday we will begin our week long travels around Cameroon. We will go to Younde, the capital, and to Bamenda, and Limbe. We get to see a lot, so it should be both fun and educational. I can't believe we only have a week left in Africa...it is bittersweet.

OOh, by the way: Mom, these sandals have been a LIFE SAVER here. Dad, the hand sanitizer is also a life saver seeing as no bathrooms here have TP/ toilet seats/ or soap. Nicole, you'd be proud, I dont change 5 times a day here, just once!

Well thanks for the continues support and prayers. Yet again, they serve as such an encouragement! I love you all and wish you could be here to see what I am seeing and to meet these people. But have no fear, I have taken nearly 500 pictures already...so I have good documentation of the trip! See you soon.

In Him and Love always,
~Shannon~

Ps..sorry again for the mistakes. I only have a few more minutes of paid time at the Cyber.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shannon so glad to read your blog today. I talked to your mom last night,I'm glad you get to talk to them. It will be so good to come see you when you get home. Love and prayers Grandma Hawley

Cameroon's Flag

Cameroon's Flag