Saturday, July 19, 2008

"It's not goodbye...it's see you soon"



Hello there!

Sorry it has been quite a while since I have made it to the cyber...life around here has been busy to say the least! We just got back from traveling around Cameroon. We went to Yaunde, the capital of Cameroon and got to visit Peace Corps Cameroon and the US Embassy. I has really been looking forward to both visits. They were very eye opening. Its funny to see the government from the inside, after seeing/ hearing about it from those that it "serves" ( clearly using that term very lightly". From here we went to Bamenda, where its was freezing (upper 60s/ low 70s). That tells you how hot it is here in Kumba. In Bamenda we visited two traditional villages; Bafut and Bali. The Fon, or chief, in both places has many many wives and endless children. Bafut still performs animal sacrifices on a regular basis and has what they call a secret society that serves as its government. There is a certain ritual, such as clapping/ bowing that must be performed on the arrival of the Fon. You must not, however, cross your legs in his presence or shake his hand. It was overwhelming, but a really great experience.

On our journey on the TON TON ( our giant bus that looks as if it could break down any minute) got 3 flat tires. One was on the way and my friend Jenny and I play with (more like scared) the children of the village we were stopped in. They literally run from us "white mon" laughing. On the way home we got 2 more flat tires. It made the nearly 6 hour journey even longer. Luckily though, the views were beyond breathtaking. I have taken tons of pictures, but they can not even do the views justice.

Tonight we have out send-off party with all of our friends and family here. We will all wear our traditional African wear and it should be a lot of fun. We leave for the bumpy journey to the Doula airport Monday around lunch and fly out from there around 1030 Monday night. I will get to Paris at 6PM (Europe time) and will have to be ready to hit the groun running. I will be in Paris for 4 days and then we will be heading to Germany for a few days. I am exhausted, but so excited for the second leg of the trip. I know I will miss all of the people I have met here; but as my friend Zenobia says, "It is not goodbye, but see you soon!" I miss you all and will see you soon!


In Him
~Shannon~

No comments:

Cameroon's Flag

Cameroon's Flag